Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sat, Oct 10 - Balloon Fiesta - Part I

This morning we headed out to Balloon Fiesta park for our first-ever Mass Ascension. We awoke at 4 AM and was on the road by 4:30 in the hopes to beat the traffic (which we did). We made it to the park by 5 AM and spent a while looking through the vendor's tents. Freezing our butts off... note for next year: more layers!!!

I guess the "thing" to do is have a breakfast burrito and coffee while you wait. Bryan's was pretty good, I did not like the green chile's on mine (which is unusual for me). Anywhooo we were there in time for the Dawn Patrol - several balloons go up just before the crack of dawn and sort of test the winds. It was so amazing to watch them set up and then as they fired up the... gas jets I guess... and the balloons glowed in the dark. Magnificent!!!! Next year I need to take a tripod so I can get better photos, but I still don't think they would do it justice. you just have to be there.

After Dawn Patrol, we had about an hour before Mass Ascension. The greatest thing about being at the park is that you are able to walk around all the balloons as the are inflated and as they lift off.

Be sure to look at Part II to see some of the special shapes balloons.

Basket of one of the Dawn Patrol balloons
One of the Dawn Patrol balloons
Starting to inflate (using fans to inflate)
Firing up the jets
The Intel Balloon at Dawn Patrol
Row of Dawn Patrols firing up

Just before mass ascension

Looking across the Park before mass ascension


Starting to fill up

2 comments:

Towanda said...

Thanks for all the pictures, Raymona. I wouldn't get up at 4:00 a.m. for any reason at all, so your posts are the only way I will ever see these sights. LOL

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

You wouldn't have to get up at 4 AM... coming from SF you'd probably need to get up at 3 AM (hee hee)