Monday, August 22, 2011

Aug 13 - The Pep Hillbillies

Well it wasn't discovered by shooting at some game but the biggest change at the ranch was the oil derrick sitting just off the corner of the corrals.  Weird and exciting.  I wish my Grandpa were here to see it, he always wanted an oil well (or three) on his land.  My Dad loves it as he has befriended all the rough-necks and supervisors out there and they let him see up close what they are doing and how.  


I call us the Pep Hillbillies.  :-)





The cousins playing - Hannah, Maggie & Jake

Dad and the well



The well (hopefully it will be a well) is named after my Grandma since its on her land - the Lillie Belle 1.  She says she thinks it would sound better if it were the Lillie Belle 5 or 6.  haha    


Grandma & the Lillie Belle #1


Dad & the Lillie Belle #1


The oil company put in a nice new road to the oil well just south of my Mom & Dad's place and built up a nice berm for him to use for his target practice.  He said he's hit it every time he's aimed at it!! LOL
Dad's shooting range.

 Everything else is just the same.  While they haven't been as hot I think this year they have gotten more rain than we have in the DFW area, at least this summer, we probably have more for year-to-date total.  So its all brown and crunchy just like here.  


Dad is adding on to their building out there - making a bit more livable.  It will have a bedroom, bath and kitchen just off of the main building.  It's coming along but I wish I lived closer so we could help out.  Mom & Dad's getting too old to keep up all this work but I can't seem to stop 'em.
The new addition

My parents' good friend Mary & Mom

Pin cushion cacti Dad dug up from the pastures
These go to my sister, Shirley

Derrick & the sunset

Storm clouds to the east

Moon over the shop

Derrick at night... almost.  We were all set up with 
a tripod when it started pouring rain. This is the
only shot I got before we sprinted to the house.

1 comment:

clairz said...

Wow, exciting times! Obviously, the oil company must have a hunch about what's down there. You'll keep us posted, right?

I can't believe your dad is doing all that building. Wait, I can believe it!