Saturday, October 4, 2008

First Day of 2008 Balloon Fiesta

Looking toward launch field

Today is opening day of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta - a celebration of all things hot air balloon. We'll head to Balloon Fiesta Park early (4 AM) tomorrow morning to watch the mass ascension up-close at the launch site. I can't wait!

But as a wonderful preview of what we can expect... we woke up this morning to balloons everywhere!!! Bryan looked out the bathroom window as I was trying to decide if I actually wanted to wake up or not and shouted "Look at the balloons outside the windows!!" - which made me hop right out of bed, remembering what today was.

Buzzing over the house

Mass ascension entails the launching of approximately 700 hot air balloons within two hours. They start at 7:30 AM on the weekends. As I rushed from window to window yelling at Bryan to find the camera - I noticed from the master bedroom deck that we could see the launch field (where I promptly burst into tears at the site of all the balloons launching - I'll be a complete mess tomorrow morning) in Albuquerque. Not down on the ground of course as it is 16 miles away but we could definitely see the beginning launches of all the balloons!! And lady-luck persisted as the winds carried most of the balloons directly our way with most passing directly overhead or just to either side of us.
Humpty Dumpty


Balloons with Sandia Mtns behind

Bear, of course, just knew we were being invaded and did his best to discourage them from landing in our yard. It worked as they all flew on over. Poor Bear, as unsteady as he is now, he'd bark and try to hop and almost fall over but his tail was wagging to beat the band. Between the flooded yard yesterday and the invasion today - he's had way too much excitement.

Bear sounding the alarm

Anyway - the flyover lasted about 2 1/2 hours - several balloons just skimming the roof line. It was amazing, truly. A few different shapes - Humpty Dumpty, a car and in the distance a turkey! I guess next Thursday is 'Special Shapes" day and mass ascension for those.

Here is a link to kodak gallery where my album of the balloons is located (hopefully this link will work) http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=15egv3di.49jdx0rq&x=0&y=39hfc5&localeid=en_US

I've posted a couple shots here but took too many pics for the blog.

No comments: