Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mar 28 - Rio Rancho Pork & Brew

Today we spent a couple of hours at the 6th Annual Rio Rancho Pork & Brew in nearby Rio Rancho, NM. What a great venue this was... Lots of great food (BBQ) from around the US and even Canada. We were too busy sampling the goods to get many photos but here are a few.

There was a stage and a pretty good band playing while we were there, lots of food vendors - most of which were in the BBQ cookoff competion - and a few other craft-type vendors and a beer tent.

It was set up where you 'bought' BBQ Bucks to use at all of the food vendors instead of cash. Worked out pretty well I suppose, except when you ran out of BBQ Bucks!! Most of the vendors sold 'samples' for $1, but we also sampled a couple of sandwiches. I wish I would have taken note of the ones we tried but I didn't - I should know better than to trust my memory. But we had an excellent pulled-pork on Indian frybread... DELISH!!! Everything was excellent - Porky's Pride had a great sauce and their brisket just melted away... When Pigs Fly had the best rib I've ever tasted... and a terrific spicey sauce, holy, uhm pig, it was good. We tried several other places and never had a bad anything and I'm sorry I can't remember their names but all was tasty.

The only disappointment (and not to me since I'm not a beer drinker) was the "beer garden". Due to the Pork & BREW name we assumed that there would be quite a variety of beers to sample - sort of like what they were doing with the BBQ... microbreweries, or whatever, but nope, just one tent with a Budweiser truck pulled up behind it. Bryan, since living in the PNW, has become quite the beer snob and Bud just won't do (well, in a pinch but...).

Stage

Trophies

When Pigs Fly BBQ Grill Team (best ribs around!)


View of Sandia's from the Pork & Brew



1 comment:

Towanda said...

Hi Raymona,
I haven't been getting around to the blog sites to make comments much lately, but I have been enjoying your posts and all the wonderful pictures. The Las Cruces trip looked like fun ... so did the Pork and Brew.
Keep the great pictures and stories coming!!