Saturday, April 30, 2011

Old Photos - Orca Whales September 2005

Looking through some old photos this morning and thought I'd share a few.  These were taken just off of Anacortes, WA in September 2005.  There are three resident pods of Orca whales that live in Puget Sound and we had the absolute honor of getting to see them several times while we lived up there.

These are some of the most magnificent creatures I've ever seen - their size, playfulness and curiosity of us is astounding.

 Leaving Anacortes, WA with Mt Baker in the
background

Deception Pass Bridge

Orca

Orca "Ruffles" - so named due to his wavey fin

Orcas heading toward our boat

Orcas at play


Humpback Whale Tail

Humpback Whale back

Sunset from Deception Pass Bridge

3 comments:

Potters said...

I lived in Seattle all 38 years and have yet to see an Orca. I have seen a few Humpbacks, but in Hawaii, never in Puget Sound.

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

GO!!!!!!!!!!! We've gone 4-5 times, 2 times was a bit of a bust but the others were amazing. I bawled like a baby it was so beautiful.

clairz said...

Oh, it does my heart good to see all this water! These are wonderful photos, Raymona. We were out in a 17-foot sailboat on Puget Sound many years ago and had an orca come very close to us--something I've never forgotten!