Thursday, September 18, 2008

Recycling... A Thing Of The Past

Ok - probably not everywhere but certainly here. No recycling, everything goes in the trash!!! After 15 years of recycling training, its really hard to throw everything into the same bucket!

I guess Albuquerque did (and maybe still does) tried recycling - but they just don't have the infrastructure (meaning recycling centers to take the stuff) to handle it. So the story goes... The city did a big push on recycling then some investigative reporting turned up the fact that while they said they were recycling, they were really just taking it all to the landfills because they had run out of room at the recycling centers.

My parents & grandparents (like everyone else around them) burned everything - plastic bottles, plastic bags, milk jugs, papers... all in the trash burner. We felt like terrorists out minding the burn barrel. They did through their food scrapes in a different heap... not to really use as compost, so I don't know why those items didn't get burned too.

I think to "ease" my mind, I'm going to designate a can just for cans & bottles, even if we do sack it up with the garbage...

2 comments:

clairz said...

Oh, no, I was hoping that other parts of New Mexico were more enlightened than Clovis about recycling, but apparently not.

In New Hampshire we recycled everything, and household stuff we didn't want went to a neighborhood Swap Shop ("Take It or Leave It"). We also found new homes for unwanted pets instead of just killing them like they do here, but that's another recycling story, I'm afraid.

You're right, it's awfully hard to just dump everything in to the trash together. I have a towering pile of empty egg cartons out in the garage that I'm certain to find a home for eventually. In the meantime, we load up the landfill with everything else.

Anonymous said...

No recycling?
NNNOOOOOO!!!!

*does not compute*