Friday, November 20, 2009

School Politics... whatever

So, we have a crappy, disorganized instructor.  We've all had them...  you sit around and complain how bad they are, how you aren't learning anything, wasting time & money, and how you'd run the class if you were given the chance.

Tuesday, I decided I'd HAD it!  Really??  I'm paying A LOT of money, not to mention several hours of my week in a class that has been, thus far, useless.  This RT program is an accelerated program and many classes are very short and not-so-sweet with no time to waste on an instructor that isn't engaged in instruction, that can't get it together enough to pull together a cohesive lecture.  We've had four classes (with only four more to go) and are behind by 3 chapters and have learned - ZILCH.  So after listening to most of the class complain of the same issues I was concerned with... I opted to go to our RT director with the issues.  ON MY OWN, AS MY OWN REPRESENTATIVE...  Wednesday morning, I told many classmates that I'd talked to our director and we'd see if there was an improvement.  EVERY ONE of those classmates supported the act.  A couple even said they'd talked to the director the the week before.  So...

Thursday's class was MUCH better.  Great handouts, fairly good lecture, although we are still a bit behind the instructor took great strides in his lectures and engagement in the class.  Then the last ten minutes he passed out a quick 'quiz' that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the class.  Well, there were about 5 questions that pertained to what we were supposed to be studying although we hadn't really covered those areas yet.  What the hell???  So we grumbled, took the quiz and left.

Then last night a wonderfully, engaging, (she says facetiously) dictating disaster of an email went out to the class stating that if a person feels the need to talk to the director about a class reasons, then that said person needs to get the approval of the class first.  Since, even if its your OWN complaint, it will look like the class was complaining and the instructor just might get mad at us (insert Boo Hoo here).

Several of us took offense to that little statement.  NO ONE has to clear anything with anyone, unless you are specifically going in and stating "I am here as a rep for the class...".  No will censor what I say and to whom I say it.  Anyway, several responses were given by classmates to that effect and I responded with my own.  Today I waited for the fallout by this particular classmate but nothing... I have to say, it was a little disappointing.  I was all fired-up with righteous indignation.

We are adults and we have to work together for the next year and it's a small school - we'll have the instructors more than once over the next 14 months.  We all need to get along.  I get that... but if I had wanted to learn by just reading, I would have just bought the books and stayed home... saved myself a lot of money.  Anyway, I feel justified.  I'd do it again (and probably will) and I'm so not sorry for doing it.

There... I feel a little better and promise to let this go by the time I post this.

1 comment:

Towanda said...

Oh Raymona -- you remind me so much of myself when I was in school! What good does it ever do and what does it accomplish to sit there and fume about a bad situation when you are paying precious money to get an education? You did the right thing!

HOORAY for you for speaking out!!!! Never pass up an opportunity to stand up for yourself!!! I'm proud of you!