Wednesday, February 24, 2010

NM Unemployment & Grants, NM

After almost 8 weeks of calling 20+ times a day Bryan finally got through to the NM unemployment office (I think that's why NM has 'low' unemployment - no one can get through to claim anything).  Anywhhooo - they first said that the company reported that he had only worked from Oct to Dec instead of August so it would it have to go into "investigation" and that would take a out 8 weeks.  Then three days later we get a letter saying he didn't pay in enough... and then today we get a letter stating that he DID and would start receiving benefits.  Not much but better than nothing at all!  So WHOOP-WHOOP!!!

Last weekend I pulled 4 12-hour days at Cibola Hospital in Grants, NM.  Because Grants is so small and the hospital is smaller, I thought I'd have plenty of down time and be bored silly.... WRONG!  I did more on that Friday than I had at the three large hospitals in Albuquerque.  They worked my butt off at this tiny little hospital.  And really, I can't say enough good things about it - at least as far as the people are concerned.  I think I met every doctor there, had lunch with one of the surgeons - fraternized with the nurses.  Everyone was so friendly & welcoming - especially to a "lowly" student.  Everyone I met was very excited to have a student there and explained procedures thoroughly and allowed me to try pretty much anything I asked to try.  Very helpful.  The RT's I worked with were stellar as well - very compassionate to the patients and WOW - how they kept up with the work load is beyond me, all four days were CRAZY!!!  I wish I could talk about the patients - I had some interesting cases...  We had three air transports - very interesting to watch them get set up while I was there.

I go back tomorrow evening for a tow day stint. I have to say, 12 hour days are rough, mainly because I am used to sitting my fairly large butt for 5 hours in class and then going home to work on homework...  I'm really not used to 'working'.  :-)  

I do a few days off the first weekend of March and I am going to VEG-OUT and RELAX!!  I am pooped!

No comments: