Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Quickie Patio

I wish I had taken before and after photos as there is such a difference between the before and the after...  but I didn't.  Our rental house has a weird little entry way for the front door. There's a bit of a covered walkway leading to the door, then about a 6" gap between that roofline and the other eave, making a U-shaped area.  Between the walkway and the outside kitchen wall was a 'flower-bed' that was all sand and due to the close proximity of the roof lines - not much sun (despite 2 skylights cut into the porch. 

Anywhooo, when it rained it turned into a muddy mess so I decided to make a patio.  I think it turned out OK for a quick, no frills patio. I just smoothed out the sand and laid down the pavers.  Not too bad and its holding up well. I also planted some giant elephant ears and caladiums (for color) to make it more inviting. 

The wind here blows so hard from the south and west that this is a great place to sit (or was during the late-winter, early spring) and drink a cup of coffee in the morning.  However, it can get stifling during the heat of the day since it is really protected from the wind.

Front door - Sign reads:
"Friends Welcome, Family By Appointment Only!"

Giant Elephant Ears

Caladiums, lilies (in pot) and not so giant elephant ears

 Before the caladiums grew

View to the patio from the living room window

1 comment:

Potters said...

Good Job, looks great!!