Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Caddo Lake = Swamp Ass

I have written a hundred blog posts about our time at Caddo Lake State Park...  Most were funny, some were just rants against the heat & humidity...  It was too hot to write them so now I'll try to sum it up, nicely, now.  The posts following this will be about the area and have photos... this one is about the uglier side of Caddo. 

One word:  HUMID!

OK - I know what you are thinking.  "DUH!  Of course it was hot & humid - you went to a swamp."  But I'm telling you - it was STUPID hot & humid.  I mean, really - every campsite (but ours) had a fan or two (yes, fans!) to stir the air.  Several brought their kids' kiddie pool for them to sit in.  We've really never experienced anything like it - who takes fans to use OUTDOORS?  Smart people, that's who!

You would gaze up into the tops of the trees and see them whipping around but 40' lower on the ground - NOTHING.  Miserable!  We would sit there, in our lounge-y chairs, and sweat like pigs - we looked like we had taken a dip in the lake (which was the color of tea & looked gator-y but that's another story).  I think I was worse than Bryan...  Pathetic.  He kept saying "maybe if we lost weight it wouldn't be so bad" and I'm thinking - uh, it would still be bad!!  Pretty sure.  Honestly it would have been bearable if there had been a breeze - next time we know to bring a fan... or go in January.

You can barely see it, but here's a photo of our neighbor's camp fan.  Unguarded.  They were old (the people, not the fan). If it hadn't been so hot, we could have taken 'em down and stole the fan... but it was too hot to do anything but take a photo.  :-)  The woman sat in the chair reading while the fan blew hot breezes.  Her husband did shoulder exercises.


On a better note - the bugs weren't quite as bad as we thought.  Bryan found three ticks on him, I found one on me and several on the dogs.  Three roaches in the camper, & numerous unidentified flying stuff at night (word to the wise - don't wear a head-band light to walk the dogs once the sun goes down, it ain't pretty).  I kept myself sprayed with OFF so I don't have as many mosquito bites as Bryan who looks like he has the pox...  But it could have been worse!  Really.  I really did expect more bugs, especially the mosquitoes - you never really saw them although, looking at Bryan, they must have been around! HAHA

OK - now we sound a bit like elitist campers that whole up in our RV - which isn't true.  Yes, we have  slide-in truck camper (with no AC I might add) but we spend the majority of our time out of doors - hiking, driving off road, etc.  It was TOO HOT to do anything but drive around which we did on Sunday - more on that trip later.  So, while the area was beautiful, we were sorely disappointed in not having the gumption or stamina to do do more than sit and complain about the heat.  The poor dogs - miserable, although we found a few places for them to swim in Caddo Lake to cool off.  If the lake looked like something other than tepid tea we might have been tempted too but after spending so long in the Pacific NW with its crystal clear water - we've gotten a little elitist in our water activities.  We'll get over it - but we would like to see the 'gators as they come up to us.

Check back for more photos and descriptions of the area.  Despite the heat it was beautiful and haunting.

3 comments:

Potters said...

I cannot imagine, but I think I'm definitely an elitist camper. :)

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

If we'd had an AC in the camper we would never have left it so I guess being so hot it kept us outside. It was truly an enchanting area but so miserable we couldn't enjoy it.

Rebecca said...

OMG!! I am seriously crying I'm laughing so hard! Oh, that sounds ridiculous hot!!! I get what you mean about the water too.. When we lived in Houston.. I was like ewww.. gross.. this is NOT water. I'd NEVER EVER even dip my toes in!! Didn't know then that not all bodies of water looked like they do 'back home.' Opps.. =)