Saturday, December 20, 2008

Adoption Counselor

Today I made it out to Watermelon Mountain Ranch and had my introduction (& did my first adoption) to animal adoption counseling. I'll need some practice & more exposure but I think it will be neat & fun to do. I also walk some of the dogs at the Ranch. I should be losing lots of weight but for some reason (& I'm sure its not the New Mexican cuisine that is hampering the effort) its not coming off.

Now that I am getting more familiar with the Ranch, the staff and the animals there (they have a lovely cattery but I'm a dog person) it is kinda fun to go and play with the inmates. There are usually some puppies there to play with and always someone that needs to be walked & exercised. It's sad to some extent too - some are troubled animals that were "rescued' for horrible situations, one dog had been left in foreclosed house after his family moved out for something like 18 days... I mean, really... set him free or something, don't lock them up where they are most likely going to starve to death.

The people at the Ranch are super too - very much for the animals and their welfare above all else. It is just amazing to me that there are so many discarded animals (and just as many that are finding homes). Watermelon Mountain Ranch: http://www.wmranch.org/

Anyway, here's another picture of our foster 'pup', Espresso. She is starting to sit up more now instead of staying curled into a ball. Such a sweet-heart. We are taking her with us to Mom & Dad's, hopefully we won't traumatize her to much.

No comments: