Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Saying Good-Bye to Richard

As some of you may know, my brother, Richard, was diagnosed with colon cancer last August. He had other complications (pancreatitis, heart disease) that really hindered his cancer treatments... we received news last Sunday, 11/30, that he had deteriorated and was in fading fast. Bryan drove me to Mom & Dad's Monday evening and I drove out to Ft Worth with them Tuesday morning.

We made it to Richard's house around 5 PM and sat with him throughout the night. By the time we got there, he was sliding into a coma and not able to communicate with us, although he tried and I believe he knew we were there. We told him funny stories and just tried to give him comfort as he moved to join the Lord. I have to give thanks to his Vitas Hospice nurse, Jessie H for the care & compassion he showed to Richard in these final hours. Jessie was also a pillar of strength for the family as we watched our son, brother, father, friend and papa slip away from all of us.

Richard passed away at 5:50 AM, Wednesday morning (12/3) - he fought long & hard the whole time, wanting to stay with his family. Richard was preceeded in death by our brother, James in 2006. Now there are just us five sisters left.

Richard's daughters, Elisha & Bianca, read the beautiful poem below at his "Celebration of Life" this past Sunday. I'm not sure of the author but the poem is wonderful and exactly expressed how we feel. Richard will be missed by all that knew him, but we know he isn't really gone - we'll see him again someday.

I am thankful that he found his Faith in God again and was baptized with his family before his departure.

God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be.
So He put His arms around you and whispered "come to me."
With tearful eyes we watched you, and saw you pass away.
Although we loved you dearly, we could not make you stay.
A golden heart stopped beating, hardworking hands at rest.
God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best.

Richard E Ball
October 1, 1950 - December 3, 2008

1 comment:

Towanda said...

Raymona,

Oh ... I am so very very sorry.

I am glad you got there and were able to be with him at the last. I am sure he knew you were there.

Your family will be in my prayers.

Love,
Sharon