Sunday, October 10, 2010

Balloon Fiesta 2010 - Felling Balloons

So, I didn't make it to the Fiesta this year, but my friends' house is in the flight pattern most days (when the wind is just right).  So this morning, I jumped out of bed, grabbed the camera and headed outside.  Just in time to see one balloon fly low over the house - the others were heading a further to the East.

Sandy asked if I wanted to go to the empty field not far from the house to get better photos so I said sure... little did I know the 'treat' I'd get while there.  The field is a popular landing spot so I just knew I'd get some great shots.  And then a balloon came in... shouting down, asking if we could catch them.  So much for photos, the camera and coffee cup were tossed to the side and Sandy & I ran to the basket and grabbed hold of it. There were, luckily, a couple of other helpers so we weren't dragged too far and the basket did not tip over, spilling its pilot and crew.  YEA!  My first balloon 'catching' or felling as seems to be the vernacular to use.

We 'walked' the balloon several yards further, creating more room for more balloon landings.  All in all we helped fell four balloons. Kinda exciting.  The pilots were even recruiting us to help next year.  If any one is interested check out Quad-A (http://www.hotairballooning.org/) to see about being on balloon crews next year.  If I were going to be here,  I'd be signing up!  Sandy would rock at it - already shouting orders to some kids about grabbing the guide wire for the top of the balloon and they obeyed.  Below are a few photos from the morning.  (My cheap-o camera has something on the lens that I can't get off so ignore the IBD (unidentified black dot) on most of the photos).

The first several photos are by my friend Sandy.  Thanks for sharing Sandy!













Me and the first balloon I helped fell

Hanging on!!

Sandy holding things down

Folding up the balloon

Balloon over the house



2 comments:

Towanda said...

What a cool opportunity!

clairz said...

Great photos, and interesting info about balloons. They say that Las Cruces' balloon festival will be back on for next year after one year without. We will have the perfect view from the house, although there won't be anything like the numbers at the Albuquerque festival!