Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sunport (Albuquerque International Airport) Triennial Exercise

So, I guess airports need to go through a disaster drill every three years or so.  Our school volunteered us to be victims of said disaster.  I was actually looking forward to it, some people would be moulaged (have make-up applied to resemble injuries), some would be selected to be transported to area hospitals to receive care and others would be selected to be distraught family members.  Somehow I thought this would be a great learning experience and fun opportunity - perhaps due to the hype laid on by our instructor.

Anyway - it was a learning experience, although I was ticked that my victim status was pretty much A-OK from the 'airplane' wreck.  No blood & guts for me.  Although, the poor moulage person did make me "pale" with blue tipped fingers as I was so mad at not getting a head injury or a broken bone.  Several classmates ended up with shrapnel embedded in various body parts, bruised chests, cut necks, etc... but not I... oh no, not I.

The prep took longer than we all expected - something like 3 hours to sign-in the 130 some-odd volunteers and moulage almost that many. We headed to the runway around 9:30 AM (the whole time I'm thanking heaven above that we are NOT in Texas doing this... ahhh the heat). The actual drill started around 10:30 maybe (I honestly don't know as I didn't think to look at my watch).  And was over by Noon - except for the transportees.

Since I was uninjured I did a lot of sitting and twiddling my thumbs.  I tried to be all "What's going on, you have tell us something" but was told to sit down and be quiet they'd get us information later.  Hurumph!!

Below are a few shots I took with the iPhone (so sorry about the quality) of our experience.

I will say - if you get a chance to participate in a triennial drill or a citywide disaster planning exercise that you do it.

Victims waiting on the tarmac


Our smoking fuselage

No wonder the plane went down - no tail!!

An injured friend (she didn't make it unfortunately)

The calvary (aka firemen) have arrived

Another seriously injured classmate (I think he made it)

1 comment:

clairz said...

Something I've never seen! I'm glad that you were "well" enough to be able to record the experience.