Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jan 23 - On My Way East To Corinth, Texas

Left Mom & Dad's around 7:40 am MST on Sunday for the final leg of the journey to Texas.  I have to tell you (& you'll see by the photos), there isn't alot between Pep and Corinth.  I think, I counted 150 vehicles on the road between Lubbock & Jacksboro (excluding cars in the few towns I went through).  Blessedly, the trip was very uneventful and the weather was nice for driving.  I arrived home around 3:30 pm CST - not too bad.

As you leave Pep and head east on 114, just before you cross the TX/NM state line you see this historical marker about Buffalo Soldier Hill.  Look north (second photo) and you can just make out the 'hill'.

BSH - Historical Marker

Buffalo Soldier Hill, New Mexico

I had hoped to stop at all the historical markers along my route but there are lots of them and I would not have made it home at a decent time.  (And sorry for the black "bug" on all my photos, I have a nick on my camera lens).

More photos from my trip "east":

Welcome to Texas

The "Narrows" Rest Area - Used to hop the fence here to go
pee amongst the arroyos.  Now they have a nice restroom.  

Lonely ol' Road

A hill, a hill!!!  Oh what a wonderful hill!!

More of the same lonely road, just a different spot

I'm coming home, I'm coming home...

2 comments:

Erich Hicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WasSoggyInSeattle said...

Buffalo Soldier 9 - Thanks for the reading tip. I will most certainly look it up and take a read. I love history and the less well known, the more interesting.