Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jan 21 - News About Something Other Than Puppies

Well, I'm sure most of you couldn't care less about Hannah & Maggie. :-) So here's a bit that doesn't include them.

Raymona has a new Great-Nephew, Kody Allen, born to her niece Elisha and husband David. Kody joins two older brothers, Danny Ray (15, I think) & Blake (7) and an older sister, Kaitlyn (2). Kody was born December 28, 2008 - about 2 weeks early! I've been waiting on photos but thought I might be waiting a while so... Welcome to the family little Kody!!

On sadder notes, we've had three deaths in between our families so far in 2009.

Early in January, Raymona's second cousin, Corey, passed away peacefully in his sleep. He was in his early twenties and lived with autism. Corey was a very gentle soul who saw the goodness in everything (but dogs, wasn't a dog-fan) and loved the Lord. In fact, just as he was going to bed, he told his family that he was going to see Jesus and that he was going to be Jesus' best helper. We are all saddened by his loss but Heaven certainly got a good helper and a great Angel.

We found out yesterday that Bryan's cousin, Travis, passed away unexpectantly on Monday from (at the time I write this) unknown causes. Travis was in his mid-thirties and was an exceptional organist. His family is from Virginia but he worked at a large church in Ohio. It is so horrible to learn of such untimely deaths but this one just seems surreal to us. He was so fun-loving, outgoing and such a caring person; another Angel to watch over us all.

Then today, my nephew texted to let me know his paternal grandmother (my brother-in-law's Mom) passed away last night. I believe she was in her late 80's. Let me tell you, God got a handful when he called MiMi (Myrtle) up!! She was a great & caring person - larger than life really a character words cannot describe. She got crankier as she got older but really, who doesn't? Although of no blood relation to me, I always felt like she was another grandparent. At least now she is with her husband, Clark (Grandad), her daughter, Billie and son (my brother-in-law), Charles.

Hopefully (prayerfully) I hope this ends the deaths & sadness in 2009 in our families.

On the lighter side - my sister Shirley & her husband Ken, will be moving to Albuquerque sometime in February. Ken was accepted for a position at the University of New Mexico Medical Center. It will be weird to have family so close to us now. After 15 years of being 'alone' it will take some adjusting but we are excited they are coming. Hopefully, we'll find jobs here and won't have to move to Las Cruces or Alamogordo.

On the job-front - Still looking... there are either jobs for people with masters/PhD's or High School/GEDs... not a lot inbetween unless you have compter programming experience. sigh Bryan has had a couple good leads, me, not so much. I think I'm going to have to re-write my resume to be more generic. Things have picked up after the holidays and perhaps now that Obama is finally in office, we'll get jobs. Right? He PROMISED afterall that we'd have jobs, he'd fix everything - and 90% of America fell for it so... where's our jobs? Or at least our share of the wealth from the wealthy!?!?!? OK, that was tacky and probably bad karma.... but I won't take it back. We aren't too worried yet, but would rather NOT spend our house-sale money on rent & groceries but rather on a NEW house. :-) We are getting things done though - Puppies trained, volunteer work a bit, quilting some, concealed weapons training, Facebook updates, basking in the eternal NewMexico sunshine...

Well I guess that's it for now; all caught up on our news. We hope each of you are well and in good health. Take care and be happy!!

3 comments:

Janette said...

Well, I suppose there could be worse things than hanging out in the beautiful sunshine with your best friend and lots of cute dogs! Not to mention the quilting and the volunteering - one of which should offset your "bad karma" nicely...LOL!

Anyhoo - good luck with the job hunt. What kind of work are you looking for? Have you tried looking at any law firms? The ones I know are doing pretty well.

Towanda said...

Raymona, I am so sorry to hear of the deaths in your family, especially the young ones. Such a terrible loss ....

John and I are still talking about our trip to Bernalillo on the Rail Runner, but we are still hearing about standing room only trips and I am not sure I want to stand all the way to Bernalillo. I think we will wait a couple more weeks....

Good luck on the job hunt. Are you qualified to do anything in the health care field? As a retired nurse, I still watch the job market and there are jobs there depending on what you can do.

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

Thanks for your condolences. It is terrible to lose someone, especially the young ones.

We keep saying we are going to do the train too but the standing room only keeps us here. I guess, since we aren't working we could try a mid-week one but haven't yet. I was a bit bummed that two pueblos aren't letting people take photos from the train - I understand not taking photos of their homes, buildings, etc but really... not even of the scenery????

No, nothing in health care... although I took a career inventory and that is where it said I'd be happiest - health care or teaching/training. If Bryan would hurry & get a job then I could go back to school for training in the health industry... haha