Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Learning to Play

Not much is as sad as seeing a dog that doesn't know how to play... Pressie is one of those sad creatures. While Jake (parent's dog) was here, Pressie really started to loosen up some - running, jumping, occasionally attacking a ball - mimicking Jake, really. Since Jake's gone, I've been trying to keep Pressie engaged in playful behaviour - she is very reluctant still but occasionally will break out. I guess she needs a friend but not sure we are ready to take on another...

Here's come cute photos from today.

Pressie trying to get me to play

Pressie running toward me

Pressie about to"get" the ball

And she pounces...

2 comments:

clairz said...

You know, Soggy, Pressie's story is so compelling--I'm sensing a book in the making here. Just keep on blogging, one day at a time, about her adventures in her new life and pretty soon you'll have the book.

She is so lucky to have you guys. I keep thinking about her desperately circling your folks' house out at Pep. Not wanting to leave, and afraid to come in from the cold. Poor baby.

Please keep the stories about Pressie coming. I hope she can stay with you and Brian.

Towanda said...

Raymoan,
I have seen many dogs like Pressie through the years. Rescue dogs can come with enormous baggage, and some of them never had the chance to be puppies.

Both of my rescues that I adopted were like that when we got them at ages 1 and 3. They both learned to play after they found a home with us. But many of the fosters we have had never reached that point, and I wonder about some of them still, curious as to whether finding a forever home liberated them to learn to relax and play.

you do the best you can do. Give Pressie a lot of love and affection, as well as discipline and a stable environment, and you may see great changes in her. It looks like her behavior with Jake is an indication she wants to learn to play.

Good luck ... I'm pulling for you!