Monday, April 27, 2009

April 23-27 Mom & Dad's Visit

Mom & Dad arrived Thursday afternoon, just in time for Mom to accompany me to the doctor's office to start my round of required immunizations for the respiratory therapy program I've entered. I have to prove I have had immunizations for MMR (mumps, measles, rubella), Varicella (chicken pox), update my tetanus & diphtheria shot and start the three rounds of Hepatitis B vaccines. I guess I had an MMR booster in 1998 but decided to just go ahead and get a titer to prove that I was immune; same thing with the chicken pox - other than photos from Mom, I can't prove I actually had them so I had to have a titer (blood draw/test) to prove I am immune. The HepB shot is administered in 3 shots - now, one in a month and the other is either in 3 mos or 6 mos I missed that part. And the Td is every 7 years, although I guess some hospitals are requiring it every year now... Oh yeah, and I have to be tested for TB every 6 mos... OK, more than you wanted to know, back to Mom & Dad's visit.

They left their 5th wheel at home and just stayed with us at the house. On Friday, after my classes, we went to the 26th annual "Gathering of Nations" Powwow. One of the largest powwows in the country with over 500 tribes represented from across the US & Cananda. This year, the newspaper reported that there were over 3000 dancers participating in the Grand Entries. There were also over 800 vendors set up as well.

We all really enjoyed it (OK, Bryan not so much) but I think we would have liked it better if we had known more about the dances - like what did the represent (if anything), some of the rules, like when the music (drums/chants) stop so must the dancers, etc. But really, it was a moving experience to see that many dancers in their costumes. Most were very elaborate, some were just down right gaudy and doubtful to me that they dressed in those particular colors (blaze orange, flourescent yellow, green and pink) "way back when". I was reading on city-data.com that some people went for the "spirituallness" of the event - I can't say that I was moved spiritually - too many people, too big of a venue - but it was a spectacular site to witness. Again, I would like to know about the culture behind it all...

Bryan thought that each tribe should have had a booth or something, telling a bit of history about themselves, etc.

I sat with Mom in the handicapped section and we met the most interesting (& talkative man). He was a Mescalero Apache - but not registered! (his words and emphasis). He was a hoot but we did miss alot listening to him instead of the dance announcers. Below are some photos from the event. I didn't use flash so some are a bit blurry and I don't know what all the dances/dancers are so the descriptions are vague. And remember to click on the photo to enlarge!!

Here's some of the more 'colorful' costume's.
I think they were called the "men's fancy dress"
Women's Bell Dress dance
All the dresses had hundreds of bells sewn on them

Women's Bell Dress Dance


Dancing men - in more traditional colored costumes


Drums being set up for the Grand Entry on Friday night
Celebrating the four directions
Bald Eagle came out prior to the Grand Entry
Headdress of someone sitting in front of me
Start of the Grand Entry
Arena floor filling up

My last photo before my battery died
The floor is still filling up; there were so many still
coming into the arena that several had to leave
& go back into the stands to make room!

Mom was pretty sick (exhaustion coupled with a huge Indian fry bread and cotton candy on Friday) on Saturday so I studied and did housework while she slept. Bryan & Dad built a slick dolly-cart for my Jeep's hardtop.

Then on Sunday we took Dad to breakfast at Weck's for his 67th birthday - very tasty and lots & lots of food. Dad tried but just couldn't finish his. None of us could. Then Bryan & Dad headed back to finish the cart and start a platform that will fit inside the back of the Jeep to raise the pups up so they can see out (& hopefully help keep Hannah from getting carsick) and Mom & I went shopping then came home and hemmed my uniform pants while I studied.

Dad's Birthday Cinnamon Roll from Wecks
Maggie lounging on the patio
Jake (parent's dog) & Hannah
Bad, bad puppies!!! This is what I woke up
to this morning!!!
Dad, me & Mom before they headed home.

2 comments:

Towanda said...

Oh Raymona.....just look at you in those scrubs! You just look so darn cute and professional.

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

LOL - thanks. I feel professional in them. haha Of course, I am supposed to have my hair pulled up but...