Friday, April 17, 2009

April 7 - Entering Arizona, on to Cottonwood

On Tuesday, we headed out of Gallup, NM for Cottonwood, AZ. We stopped at the Arizona Welcome Center just across the NM/AZ border for a few pics and then we were on our way. We decided we would just head straight to Cottonwood where we would be camping - Dead Horse State Park, which is a first come, first serve park instead of stopping at the Petrified Forest National Monument & Meteor Crater. We will hit those on the way home Saturday.

Arizona Welcome sign
Raymona, Maggie & Hannah
Yellowhorse Trading Post near the AZ Welcome Center
We took a quick detour off of I-40 at Winslow, AZ. We hoped to find some remnant from old Route 66 to eat lunch but didn't really. Winslow was a bit disappointing, I guess because of the Route 66 song, I thought maybe Winslow would be more 'touristy' or restored but nope, just a tired little town.

Maggie
Maggie, Hannah (sitting up), Bryan
Historic Winslow, AZ on Historic Route 66
In Flagstaff, we turned south on I-17 then took Hwy 89A through Sedona on into Cottonwood. What a magnificent road, that Hwy 89A - VERY scenic but also VERY winding and kinda narrow for RV's. Absolutely beautiful scenery that was tampered a bit by Hannah who gets car sick during mountainous, curvey roads. We arrived at Dead Horse around 4:30 and so glad we came straight there since there were only 6-7 campsites still open out of 150!! We picked a good site, #55, paid our fees and set up camp ready to do some exploring of the area.

Hwy 89A out of Flagstaff - heading south to Sedona
Hwy 89A heading to Sedona

4 comments:

clairz said...

I'm glad you're letting me come along on this trip, Raymona. That part of the country is so beautiful and I fondly remember our last trip through--and I not so fondly remember other past trips with a carsick pup.

Lovely photos. I'm so glad you do this blog.

Towanda said...

Hey Raymona...I can't hear the words "Winslow Arizona" without thinking this:

"Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona and such a fine sight to see-
it's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowing down to take a look at me.
Come on, baby, don't say maybe. I gotta know if your sweet love is gonna save me."

LOL ... going to have that song in my head all day!!!

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

T - and now I will too, (LOL) but that's OK, I've been trying to think of the words since we went on the trip.

Towanda said...

Okay - now I can officially say the song is playing in my head - over and over and over. Good thing it's a song I like. LOL