Saturday, April 4, 2009

Friends from Seattle

On April 1 I had the great pleasure of picking up my dear friend, Patricia, and her daughter, Aria at the airport. They braved our high winds to come visit for a few days and escape the gray, wet Seattle weather. The day they arrived was cold, windy and overcast... hmmm... maybe they brought it with them....

Anyway, I picked them up and we had lunch in Old Town Albuquerque before heading on home. The wind by that time was amazing!!! The dust blew in obscuring Rio Rancho to the west and the Sandia Mtns to the east. I've never seen it like that, what a welcome to our (usually) wonderful state.

On Thursday was perfect weather so we took a drive up to Bandelier National Monument and roamed around there for a few hours before heading into Santa Fe for a late lunch and some shopping. We hit a few of the high spots (San Miguel church, Loretto Chapel, Plaza, Capital) before Aria pooped out (poor 14 year old wondering around with us "old folk"). (OK, so maybe the 'old folk' pooped out too but its better to blame it on the kid) On the way from Bandelier to Santa Fe I insisted we stop at Camel Rock... It is sort of a tradition for me, but I think they thought I was nuts but being the good friends (and good sports) they agreed to get out and have their photo taken - course I'll get in trouble for posting it but... what are friends for?

Friday dawned windy but sunny so we braved the wind and went to the Petraglyph National Monument in Albuquerque and did a few of the shorter hikes. Eventually the wind won out and we headed indoors to the Page One bookstore on Montgomery. What a great store - largest independent bookstore in NM offering new and used books (had to get a plug in there for them). One of Aria's friends had told her that she HAD to go to El Pinto Mexican Restaurant so we headed there for dinner. I still find it slightly amusing that a 15 yr old would recommend this as a 'must-see' place.

Anyway, Bryan & I had a great time visiting with Patricia and teasing Aria (what a great sport she was to put up with it). I only wish they would have been able to stay longer and we would have a bit better weather - the wind, whew! Friday night was horrible!!! Hannah & Maggie was a hit with both of them, despite scratching Aria to pieces as she giggled the whole time. They loved her. And this morning, after I returned from dropping them off at the airport, Maggie & Hannah searched the house looking for their new friend. They've been a bit subdued today, I think they really miss her.

Patricia, Aria & Raymona
At Bandelier National Monument
Aria & Patricia heading up a ladder to view a caveate
Bandelier National Monument
Raymona & Aria looking at the window of a caveate
Patricia & Aria at Camel Rock, NM
St Francis Cathedral, Santa Fe, NM

San Miguel Church, Santa Fe, NM
(oldest church)
Oldest house, Santa Fe, NM
Miraculous Staircase in Loretto Chapel
Santa Fe, NM
Aria in Santa Fe, NM
Aria at Bandelier National Monument
Albuquerque, NM
Aria, Patricia & Raymona at
Bandelier National Monument

View of Sandia Mtns from Bandelier National Monument
Bandalier National Monument


El Pinto Restaurant

3 comments:

Towanda said...

Great pictures, Raymona! Looks like you filled up every day and got to do a lot of fun things! Where did you eat in Santa Fe (just curious)? How did they like New Mexico?

(Off topic -- how do you get to post 16 pictures in one post? My posting screen only allows me to post five pictures.)

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

for the life of me I can't remember but it was on the corner across from the Ore Cafe (Or something like that). If I can remember I'll let you know. It was pretty good - upstairs...

They seemed to like it. Patricia more than Aria (the 14 yr old) but I think they both really enjoyed the culture.

I post five then click on the icon to post pics, choose five more and so on.

Towanda said...

Raymona - I used your method for adding more pictures.....and it worked!! THANKS