Thursday, April 30, 2009

School and Puppy Surgeries

So, Hannah & Maggie were spayed yesterday; came through with flying colors. Most of the evening they were still groggy and sleepy - about Midnight, that wore off and they were ready to play!!!!!!!!! ARGH! So about every 1.5 hrs we were up trying to keep them from scratching the door, or wrestling with each other. We finally put them in bed with us, usually that helps but then we kept waking up to keep them from jumping off the bed. The next 7-10 days will be hell - they can't play, jump, run, wrestle or climb stairs during that time.

I feel like I've been on a 3-day drunk!!

At five and a half months old - that isn't sinking in. They are like "wooo-hhooooo, let's PARTY!!" Bryan had to go in for job skills testing after I got home from school today and he looked a bit frazzled, being the good "Mom" I am, I promptly got out the benadryl, halved one and stuffed it down their cute little throats. They are now sleeping peacefully at my feet. I don't know why vets don't prescibed a sedative along with the pain killers if they want them to be sedentary during recovery. Especially for puppies. Good Lord! When she said they had to be 'quiet' for 7 days I looked at her like she grew 2 more heads. She just laughed and said everyone looked at her that way... I'm thinking, "well then, that should tell you to give us TRANQUILIZERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


Anyway... school... It's going OK. The boring, mechanic parts right now - a math refresher (that I desperately needed), microbiology; next week we finish math & MB and start two new classes - Study Skills and Computer Technology... which I tried to get pre-empted from but couldn't... HELLLOOOO, both of my degrees were done at night so I think I know how to study and I've worked with a computer for how many years now?!?!? Oh well, I'd like to say it will be an easy "A" but I don't want to jinx anything. We also will be starting Anatomy in the next week or so.

The schedules are all hokey but I guess that gets them all squeezed in. So between now and August 14 (end of this semester) I will be taking computer technology, study skills, anatomy/physiology, respiratory science (basically chemistry & physics), pulmonary anatomy/physiology, cardiac anatomy/physiology and patient assessment. Whew!

Then after a week break we start up again. In January (my third semester) I will start clinical rotations and will only have classes 3 days a week and clinicals for 2 days (12-hour shifts).

In order to start your clinicals you have to prove you are up to date on all of your immunizations. I have had two titers (blood tests) done for MMR (Mumps, Measles, Rubella) and Varicella (Chickenpox), updated my tetnus/diptheria (Man, I forget just how bad those hurt) and started my Hepatitis B vaccines - its a three shot series and then at the end we have to have a titer showing we are indeed immune. I haven't been stuck this many times in... well, probably forever!!! Oh, and I have to get a TB (tuberculosis) test every 6 months. This one looks clear!! HAHA

Also for clinicals you have to do a background and drug test... my background check came back A-OK and we won't do the drug test until just before clinicals - but I'm not worried about it either. I remember when I was having to do a screening for my JLL application and people were like "its OK, its only one time... then its OK" and I'm like - I don't do drugs anyway, so really, I'm not worried about it. But they acted like I should be all concerned... struck me as funny.

3 comments:

Towanda said...

Unpleasant truth number one: In order to get any degree you have to sit through a lot of boring classes, write a lot of boring papers, and listen to a lot of stuff you already know. HANG IN THERE! It gets MUCH better when you get to the clinical part.

So. Are you still trying to keep Hannah and Maggie quiet or have you given up?

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

I've about given up... but we are doling out halves of benedryl and that helps some. Poor kids, they don't understand why they just can't rip & roar like normal. But they seem to be doing well, haven't had to give them any pain pills...

Northanna said...

Hi, I live in New Mexico also (Clovis). I am going back to school (at 60 yo) to become an RN. I also am taking prerequisites (Math is my challenge). I remember when our black labrador was a 4 month old puppy. I'd get in from work so tired and there he'd be .. ready to play! Oh my goodness, I got even more exhausted. Anyway, suffice to say that I can relate!
Suzanne (DiscoveringChinaBlue.blogspot.com)